“Difficult, boring, just for boys” may be the messages society sends girls about science and engineering, but with the right experiences, girls can see STEM as fun and inviting.
Here are some ideas for how to combat stereotypes and communicate positive images of STEM professions:
- Girls want to make a difference in the world. Talk about the positive impact STEM professionals make.
- Be dynamic! Your enthusiasm and passion for your work will make girls excited about STEM.
- Highlight science and engineering inventions by women.
- Focus on how you overcame struggles and challenges in school or at work.
- Give examples of how engineers and scientists are creative problem-solvers.
- Show how STEM is essential to our health, happiness, and safety.
Watch Lyn, a Mechanical Engineer, share positive messages about engineering with a group of high-school girls in the video. Then, answer the questions below.